Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), located in Ile-Ife, Osun State, is renowned as one of Nigeria’s most prestigious universities. With a diverse range of courses available, including nursing, OAU attracts ambitious students from all over the country.
However, gaining admission to the nursing program at OAU requires meeting specific cut-off marks and demonstrating a strong academic and extracurricular profile.
In this blog post, we will provide you with essential information and useful tips to help you prepare for a successful application to OAU’s nursing program.
Understanding the Cut-off Marks
To be eligible for admission into the nursing program at OAU, aspiring students must meet both the Joint Admission and Matriculation Examination (JAMB) cut-off mark and the departmental cut-off mark.
In 2023, the JAMB cut-off mark for nursing at OAU is set at 200. This means that you need to achieve a score of 200 or above in the JAMB examination to qualify for application.
Additionally, the departmental cut-off mark specifically for nursing is 53.6, indicating that you must attain a score of at least 53.6 in the Post-UTME examination to be considered for admission.
Preparing for OAU Nursing
To increase your chances of securing admission to OAU’s nursing program, here are some essential steps you can take:
1. Build a Strong Foundation: Focus on strengthening your knowledge in biology, chemistry, and mathematics, as these subjects form the core of nursing studies. Dedicate ample time to understanding and mastering these subjects during your high school years.
2. Take Relevant Courses: Enroll in as many relevant courses as possible while in high school. These courses will give you a head start and familiarity with the concepts and principles you will encounter at OAU.
3. Early Preparation for JAMB Examination: Begin your preparation for the JAMB examination well in advance. Utilize available resources such as the official JAMB website, JAMB past questions, tutorial videos, and practice tests to familiarize yourself with the exam format and enhance your performance.
4. Enhance Writing and Critical Thinking Skills: Writing skills are essential in nursing. Practice writing essays and answering questions to improve your ability to express your thoughts coherently and think critically.
5. Engage in Extracurricular Activities: Participating in extracurricular activities related to nursing will not only broaden your knowledge but also demonstrate your dedication and passion for the field. Consider joining a nursing club, participating in nursing competitions, interning at a hospital, or volunteering at a non-profit organization.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the OAU cut-off mark for nursing in 2023?
The OAU cut-off mark for nursing in 2023 is 200.
2. What is the departmental cut-off mark for nursing at OAU?
The departmental cut-off mark for nursing at OAU is 53.6.
3. What are the core subjects that I need to study in nursing?
The core subjects you need to study in nursing are biology, chemistry, and mathematics.
4. What are some resources that can help me prepare for the JAMB examination?
Resources that can assist you in preparing for the JAMB examination include the JAMB official website, JAMB past questions, tutorial videos, and practice tests.
5. What are some extracurricular activities that can improve my skills and knowledge in nursing?
Engaging in extracurricular activities such as joining a nursing club, participating in nursing competitions, interning at a hospital, or volunteering at a non-profit organization can enhance